Hello and welcome to the 2011-2012 school year! My name is Miss Ratkowski and I am happy to serve as the guidance counselor at Elk Valley Elementary!
I would like to take this opportunity to give you an understanding of my role at the school and how I may be of assistance to you and your child.
As the guidance counselor, it is my personal mission to support any child at EVES who may ecounter a
social, emotional, or family issue which interferes with their ability to reach their highest potential while at school.
In short, I am here to help!
· Individual counseling: Short-term counseling is available to students in need of individual support as they cope with needs such as: school anxiety, friendship concerns, self-esteem, grief, and family changes.
· Group counseling: Small-group counseling may be provided to students needing to develop coping skills in a social environment of peers. Grade-level groups meet on a regular basis and may encompass the following themes: anger management, friendship, social skills, and grief. Groups may meet for 6-8 sessions throughout the year. Information on group availability will be forthcoming through the year.
· Classroom lessons: Each quarter, I visit classrooms to offer an age-appropriate presentation concerning each of the following four topics: bullying, career exploration, emotional well-being, and academic success. These lessons offer me the opportunity to work with all students in each grade level, and are a highlight of my job!
· Attendance Program: Consistent attendance is crucial for success at school. In partnership with McDonald’s, EVES offers both monthly and yearly incentives to students who receive this distinction of Perfect Attendance.
· Testing coordination: I serve as the coordinator for all standardized testing programs including the PSSA (Grades 3/4), 4Sight (Grades 3/4), OLSAT (Grade 2), and Terra Nova (Grade 2). If you have questions regarding testing expectations or score interpretation, please contact me. In addition, if your child is prone to undue stress due to testing, please notify me of these circumstances as well.
· Student support: At EVES, we have a team of professionals who are committed to screening students who may struggle academically and/or behaviorally. If you believe your child posses a special academic or behavioral need in the classroom, please contact your child’s teacher to discuss your concerns.
· Outpatient Counseling: Elk Valley Elementary partners with the Achievement Center (Erie-based mental health agency) to offer outpatient counseling services to students with long-standing social and/or emotional needs which significantly interfere with their academic potential. Any child at EVES is eligible for this service, which offers weekly counseling sessions during school hours. A formal enrollment process must be completed prior to participation. Please contact me for more information about the program or the enrollment procedure.
Contacting the Guidance Counselor
Please do not hesitate to contact me should a need arise. I am here to support both your and your child; however, I cannot help if I am not aware that a need exists. I can be easily reach via email or phone:
· Email: email@example.com
· Phone: (814) 774-5602 x6202