The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act can provide school stability for your child if you do not have a permanent home and are:

  • Staying with friends or family because you lost housing.
  • Living in a shelter, including transitional programs.
  • Staying in motels because you cannot get you own home.
  • Living on the streets, in a car, van, tent, or other nonpermanent structure.

As an eligible student you have a right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in a school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school or continue attending your school of origin (the school you attended when permanently housed or the school in which you were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school origin if you request this.
  • Receive education services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your needs as a student.


If you find yourself in this situation, please contact Mrs. Betsy Korb, Girard School District Homeless Liaison, or the Guidance Counselor at your child’s school.  

Please call 774-5602.