The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act can provide
school stability for your child if you do not have a permanent home and are:
- Staying with friends or family because you lost
- Living in a shelter, including transitional
- Staying in motels because you cannot get you own
- Living on the streets, in a car, van, tent, or
other nonpermanent structure.
As an eligible student you have a right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in a school immediately, even if lacking
documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the
school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school or continue attending
your school of origin (the school you attended when permanently housed or the school in which you were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is
- Receive transportation to and from the school
origin if you request this.
- Receive education services comparable to those
provided to other students, according to your needs as a student.
If you find
yourself in this situation, please contact Mrs. Betsy Korb, Girard School
District Homeless Liaison, or the Guidance Counselor at your child’s
Please call 774-5602.